2009-08-20

New Toy: Opteka 0.20x Fisheye Conversion Lens

Ever since I got to play with one back in the 1980s (using it on my Zenit 11), I've wanted a fisheye lens of my own. Trouble is, they're generally expensive, especially given the limited use they have.

And then, a couple or so weeks back, while browsing for something else on Amazon, I stumbled on the Opteka 0.20x Fisheye Conversion Lens:


It turned up yesterday and, last night, just as the sun was setting, I managed a very quick walk around the village to give it a quick try:


Opteka 0.20x Fisheye Test

My initial reaction is very favourable. There's very obvious fringing as you move away from the middle of the image (which I expected), but the sweet spot is very sharp and, overall, it's nice and easy to use.

Great little toy that will get more use.

6 comments:

  1. hi thanks for your review.
    could you tell me if you experienced any drop in exposure by using the opteka 0.20X?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that I noticed. Although, to be honest, I haven't tested that (or even thought to).

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok thanks for your response!
    i think i'm going to buy one to test it with my 50 1.4, might be interested to see a 16 mm (on a 400D) at 1.4 (or bit more) :)

    i was looking also to try it on my 18-200 sigma, but it's a 72mm and i believe the opteka can take only 52-58mm. would you happen to know if an adapter 52 to 72mm exists? so i could have a kind of fisheye effect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not aware of such a thing.

    The other option, while not as cheap, might be to look at the new Lensbaby fisheye. It's a complete lens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Dave for all your precious info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, I would love to hear how it looked on the 50mm 1.4? I am plannign to do the same thing.

    If you have already tried it, please share it with us :)

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete